The Diocese of Baton Rouge has named 45 clergy members who they've determined to have been credibly accused of abuse within the diocese or in other dioceses across the nation.
Bishop Michael Duca released an initial list in January 2019 of 37 men. Within a year of the list's release, along with releases from other dioceses across the country, the list grew to 45. The Advocate has continued to update its list each time the Diocese adds to its own.
This is the first time in the history of the Diocese of Baton Rouge that a Catholic bishop has attempted to provide an accounting of the identities of the alleged abusers in church ranks.
The list below, in alphabetical order, does not include employees of the church, or any other religious — such as nuns or brothers — who may have been accused. Clergy accused of sexually abusing a minor can try to clear their names through church tribunals, the outcomes of which are secret.
The biographies combine information provided by the bishop with information found in media reports, court documents and interviews.
Richard Raphael Archer
John Berube .
Clarence Joseph Biggers .
Jody Blanchard .
Daniel Patrick Brady .
Pierre Celestin Cambiaire .
Carmelo Ignatius Camenzuli .
David William Chaloux .
David Joseph Clark .
James Preston Clement .
Barry Finbar Coyle .
John Coyne .
Dan Drinan .
Bryan James Fontenot .
John Franklin .
James Funnel .
George David Gensler .
Antonio Gonzales .
Bryan Keith Gray .
Joseph Israel Guidry
Rodrigue Alphonse Hemond .
Michael Hurley ..
Myles Joseph Kearney .
Clyde Landry .
Ralph Lawrence .
Joseph LeFrois .
Daniel Lemoine .
Nicholas Joseph Martrain .
Salvador Nickie (Butch) Moran .
Thomas Naughton .
Henry Neubig .
C. Richard Nowery .
Jesse Ray Ortego .
Christopher Springer .
Malcolm Strassel .
Timothy Sugrue .
Joseph V. Sullivan .
John Weber .
- Video recap: Diocese of Baton Rouge releases list of priests credibly accused of sex abuse
- Bishop addresses list of Baton Rouge-area priests accused of abuse: 'This list is not the end.'
- After Diocese of Baton Rouge shares list of priests accused of abuse, here's what diocese says
- Baton Rouge bishop releases names of 37 clergy accused of abuse, two dozen never known before
- A survivor of Catholic sex abuse steps forward as bishop shares list of clergy accused of abuse
- 'Crusading' New Orleans, Lafayette 'priest-cop' named in Baton Rouge sexual abuser list
- Baton Rouge bishop includes more details on alleged sex abusers than New Orleans, but why?
- Abuse reported at 31 churches across Baton Rouge Diocese; some churches had more than one abuser
- Former St. James priest was accused of sexual abuse in Arkansas, but was omitted from Baton Rouge list
- Omission on Alexandria Diocese list shocks Catholic sex abuse survivor advocates
- Baton Rouge list of clergy accused of abuse grows to 40 with two new additions
- Baton Rouge Diocese adds New Orleans deacon to list of clergy credibly accused of abuse
- Baton Rouge Bishop to host 'Way of the Cross' in reparation for sexual abuse crisis
- Baton Rouge bishop hopes to ask God for forgiveness, healing at prayer service for sexual abuse crisis
- Baton Rouge bishop apologizes for 'culture of silence and secrecy' in emotional prayer service
- Baton Rouge Diocese adds two more names to list of clergy accused of abuse
- One year after releasing names of abusive clergy, Baton Rouge Diocese adds two more