Walker police have arrested two people found sleeping in a car at a traffic light with their two-year-old child in the backseat. The father bit a responding officer and tried to stab police with a used syringe, according to a department news release.

Around 4:20 p.m. Monday, officers were alerted to a white GMC pickup truck driving erratically on Burgess Avenue. Officers caught up with the truck near the intersection of Florida Boulevard and Walker North Road, where it idled at a green light, the release states.

When officers looked inside, they found driver Cory E. Norris, 31, and passenger Latisha Ann Guinn Walker, 45, asleep. Norris and Walker are in a romantic relationship, and their two-year-old son was in the back seat, Capt. John Sharp said.

When an officer knocked on the window, the pair woke up, and Norris allegedly grabbed a clear bag containing “a white crystalline substance” and tried to swallow it, “insisting that he was not going back to jail.”

He took a used syringe from a cup holder and tried to stick police, the release states. When an officer tried to prevent him from swallowing the bag, Norris bit the officer’s fingers and managed to eat the baggie and its contents.

The bitten officer’s injury was described as “not serious.”

Norris was taken to Lallie Kemp Regional Medical Center for a possible overdose, but has since been discharged. Sharp said police have not determined what was in the bag.

Walker said she had ingested methadone, and police found both methadone and Xanax in the truck.

Norris faces one count each of possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia, cruelty to a juvenile, obstruction of justice, aggravated battery of a police officer and aggravated obstruction of a highway of commerce. He also faces two counts of resisting an officer by force or violence, and Sharp expects more charges to be filed.

Walker faces one count of possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia and cruelty to a juvenile.

Their son has been placed into the custody of the Livingston Parish Office of Child Services.