Accused of carving a fetus out of his pregnant wife’s body, Jeffery Reynolds will appear before a jury in Livingston Parish on Sept. 21.

The 33-year-old appeared in state district court for a pretrial conference Thursday morning when the trial date was set. No other aspects of the case were discussed.

Reynolds faces one count each of attempted second-degree murder, first-degree feticide and battery of a police officer. He has entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity.

Reynolds did not speak during Thursday’s appearance and sat in a nearby room behind a glass divider used to separate the accused from the public gallery in the new Livingston Parish courthouse.

He was arrested Oct. 23, 2012, at his home on Milton Road in Walker. Authorities have alleged that on that day he stabbed his wife, Paula Reynolds, tore the fetus from her body, called 911 raving incomprehensibly and fought officers when they arrived.

In an interview shortly after his arrest, Jeffery Reynolds said he had smoked herbal incense and was having visions. Doctors have written a report addressing his mental state at the time of the attack, but the record has been sealed until trial. The report reportedly includes physicians’ opinions on whether Jeffery Reynolds could distinguish right from wrong at the time.

The court has denied bond to Reynolds. A defense attorney previously has said Reynolds has been held in solitary confinement. When reached for comment Wednesday, Livingston sheriff’s spokeswoman Lori Steele said the office was not releasing new information on his status within the jail.

Thursday, Reynolds was brought from jail to court in a vehicle without other prisoners, as he has in the past.

“For some bizarre reason, they consider him a security risk,” defense attorney Jasper Brock said.

Paula Reynolds’ mother has testified that about a month after he was incarcerated, Jeffery Reynolds sent her a long letter saying that if he made bond, he would have to leave the state because “someone might try to kill me.”

Paula Reynolds survived the attack and filed for divorce, citing the attempted murder. The divorce was finalized in April, according to court records available online.

Follow Steve Hardy on Twitter, @SteveRHardy.