BAKER — A candle is believed to have started a fire that destroyed two apartments Wednesday afternoon in a complex off Groom Road, Fire Chief Danny Edwards said.

The fire broke out at 4:15 p.m. in a four-unit building in the Camellia Trace Apartments and spread from a ground-floor unit on the north end of the building to an upstairs apartment.

Baker firefighters were able to stop the blaze from spreading to two apartments on the south end of the building, although the flames went into the building’s attic. Those units had minor smoke damage, Edwards said.

Edwards said the first-floor apartment was occupied by two adults and two children, while one adult and four children lived in the upstairs unit.

The fire chief said a woman living in the apartment where the fire began told investigators she was attempting to light a candle but the flames spread to other materials in the room.

Top stories in Baton Rouge in your inbox

Twice daily we'll send you the day's biggest headlines. Sign up today.

KieSha Tate, who lives in one of the apartments not seriously damaged by the blaze, said she heard the sirens of the Emergency Medical Services ambulance and firetrucks, but she said she thought her pregnant downstairs neighbor was having a baby.

A little later, someone knocked on the door and told them to get out of the building because it was on fire.

“We started grabbing everything we could,” Tate said.

Tate said her mother went back into the building to get a purse, but a friend of Tate’s grandmother went inside and hustled her mother out again.

None of the occupants at home were injured escaping the flames, Edwards said.