Nolan Dehon III.

Port Allen Officer Nolan Dehon III.

A Port Allen police officer stunned a 67-year-old with a Taser as the man screamed for help while handcuffed in the backseat of a police vehicle during an arrest last month, according to a probable cause affidavit accusing the officer of felony battery and malfeasance in office.

The incident happened early morning on March 29 as Officer Nolan Dehon III was detaining a man on the 1100 block of Avenue C, states the report obtained Monday by The Advocate.

Officers responded after receiving a call about a man breaking windows at a home, the report alleges. Police say the man suspected of the disturbance surrendered to officers upon their arrival.

After bringing the man to a police vehicle, the report states other officers heard him call for help moments later.

“Scream again, go ahead, scream,” Dehon allegedly said before pressing his Taser into the man’s body and activating it twice in 10 seconds while the man sat in the vehicle’s backseat. He then told the man “You understand me” before shutting the door, the report states.

Though the report doesn't describe the severity of the man's injuries, it says the device sent 50,000 volts of electricity into his body and that he was brought to a hospital after the encounter.

A West Baton Rouge internal affairs detective wrote in the report that the man hadn’t refused any of Dehon’s commands, nor did he become physically combative with any officers at the scene. He wrote that the man initially had trouble getting into the vehicle because of his height.

Top stories in Baton Rouge in your inbox

Twice daily we'll send you the day's biggest headlines. Sign up today.

Port Allen Police Chief Corey Hicks said Monday that the man filed a complaint after the encounter, which led to the investigation. He said in a statement he has a "zero tolerance" policy for such incidents.

Dehon, 45, was issued a summons for one count each of aggravated battery and malfeasance in office. He remains on leave.

The encounter was captured on officers' body cameras though it hasn't been publicly released.

District Attorney Tony Clayton called the footage “highly disturbing” and said he plans to bring the case before a grand jury soon.

Dehon was rehired by the department in February, but it is unclear how long he had served under former Police Chief Esdron Brown’s administration.

He was booked into the West Baton Rouge Parish Jail, but an online roster didn't list him as an inmate on Monday afternoon.

Email Youssef Rddad at, and follow him on Twitter @youssefrddad