The Americana YMCA is offering a variety of Summer Day camp programs for children and teens in Zachary.
The camps represent an opportunity to explore outdoors, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime, a news release said.
Though summer is an ideal time for youths to go outdoors and explore, for some, it means having no access to recreational and educational activities to help them learn, grow and thrive during out-of-school time, the release states.
As a result, some youths may experience learning loss and weight gain twice as fast than during the school year.
“YMCA summer camp supports the social-emotional growth, cognitive development and physical well-being of kids,” says Kristen Hogan, marketing director, YMCA of the Capital Area. “In our Summer Day camp, kids are in a welcoming environment where they can belong, they’re building relationships, developing character and discovering their potential. We really encourage parents to give their kids the gift of camp to keep them active and engaged throughout the summer.”
- THE YMCA LISTS FIVE REASONS YOUTHS SHOULD ATTEND SUMMER CAMP:
- ADVENTURE: Summer camp is about new experiences and exploring the outdoors, and YMCA camps offer new adventures for every child and teen. For details on specific programs, visit ymcabr.org/programs/camp.
- HEALTHY FUN: Day and resident camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition and healthy eating habits.
- PERSONAL GROWTH: While in the welcoming environment of camp, youths have a chance to learn new skills and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges. Camps offer cognitive learning and social-emotional development opportunities for achievement.
- FRIENDSHIPS: Amid camp games, songs, swimming, canoeing and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The bonds formed can be important and lasting for many youths.
- MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience for most and gives each camper memories and traditions that can last a lifetime. Many youths return to school with camp stories to share.
The Americana YMCA, 4200 Liberty Way, Zachary, offers field trips, swimming, weekly themed activities, Active Science, wellness activities and other programs.
The Americana Y offers financial assistance to those in need.
To help send youth to summer camp, donations can be made at ymcabr.org/give.
Learn more at ymcabr.org/camp.