Louisiana expanded its eligibility for the coronavirus vaccine on Thursday, allowing people 65 and older to now obtain the vaccine.
The vaccine was previously available to people 70 and older. By lowering the age by five years, an additional 275,000 people will be eligible for the vaccine in Louisiana.
Vaccines will also be available to people in the unified command group, state and local COVID-19 emergency response personnel and law enforcement, and March and April election workers.
The expansion in eligibility will start on Monday.
Louisiana will allow people who are 65 and older to access COVID-19 vaccines starting Monday as the state sees more doses and some slowing app…
There have been 534,985 doses of the vaccine administered statewide since the rollout began on Dec. 14. There are now 47,280 people who are fully vaccinated. The vaccines require two doses a couple weeks apart.
Here's who is newly eligible on Monday:
- People 65 and older
- Unified command group
- State and local COVID-19 emergency response personnel and law enforcement
- March and April election workers.
The vaccine has been available to:
(information provided by the Louisiana Department of Health.)
- Persons ages 70 years or older in the community
- Health-related support personnel (labs, mortuary, pharmacy)
- Outpatient clinic providers and clinic staff
- Urgent care clinic providers and staff
- Community care clinic providers and staff
- Behavioral health providers and staff
- Dialysis providers and recipients
- Home care providers (including hospice workers) and home care recipients (including older and younger people with disabilities over the age of 16 who receive community or home-based care, as well as clients of home health agencies)
- Dental providers and staff
- American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters and Support Service Providers (SSPs) working in community and clinic-based settings, and clients who are both deaf and blind
- Students, residents, faculty and staff of allied health schools (if not already receiving vaccine or in a plan to receive from their respective schools).