Seven and a half years after Brusly High School teacher Sylviane Finck Lozada disappeared and her blood was found on the walls and ceiling of her Baton Rouge garage, her husband was indicted Thursday on second-degree murder in her death.

Oscar Alberto Lozada, 43, who authorities said confessed in September to killing her in 2011, had a documented history of abusing his wife. He fled to his home country of Venezuela with their young daughter following her disappearance. 

Oscar Lozada moved from Venezuela to Mexico in 2016 and was arrested there in September, then extradited to Louisiana.

Sylviane Lozada's body has not been recovered. The East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office searched last fall for evidence on waterways along Interstate 10 between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

After Sylviane Lozada was reported missing in July 2011, investigators found blood in the garage of the couple's Baton Rouge home off Bluebonnet Boulevard in at least nine spots, including three walls and the ceiling, according to the warrant for her husband's arrest. The samples were identified as Sylviane Lozada's blood.

The couple's daughter, Angelina, is now 12 and living with her mother's family in Belgium, her mother's home country. When U.S. and Mexican law enforcement agents arrested the girl's father, they took custody of her and reunited her with her mother’s relatives.

Sylviane Lozada's killing followed years of documented domestic abuse at the hands of her husband. Authorities have said he was not arrested in any of those incidents because his wife said she didn't want to press charges.

In July 2009, deputies spoke to the Lozada family at a hospital where Oscar Lozada admitted he "snapped" during an argument and struck his wife, the warrant says.

More than a year later, Sylviane Lozada called deputies to their home because her husband was throwing and breaking items.

And in December 2010, seven months before her disappearance, deputies found Sylviane Lozada in the hospital for an injury she said her husband caused, but asked authorities to not contact him because "that would make matters worse," the warrant states.

The Lozadas had been married for six years before she disappeared.

The last time family members heard from Sylviane Lozada was when she called her mother in Belgium on July 5, 2011, Oscar Lozada's arrest warrant says.

The indictment returned Thursday by an East Baton Rouge Parish grand jury alleges Lozada killed his wife “on or about July 5, 2011.”

The East Baton Rouge Parish public defender’s office enrolled in early November to represent Lozada. Chief Public Defender Mike Mitchell said he was unfamiliar with the indictment, so he could not specifically comment on it.

Lozada’s arrest warrant indicates he purchased two round trip tickets to Caracas, Venezuela, the morning of July 6, 2011. That same day, Lozada and his then 4-year-old daughter went to Lowe's Home Improvement, video surveillance shows, where he bought 15 bags of concrete mix and nine 5-gallon buckets with lids and luggage locks. He returned to Lowe's the next day and purchased six large plastic bins.

Authorities never found those materials.

Investigators confirmed that only Oscar Lozada and his daughter used their passports to leave the country.

Lozada moved from Venezuela to Mexico in 2016 and married a local woman in Saltillo, Mexico, in late 2017, according to interviews, public records and media reports.

Investigators were unable to execute an arrest while he was living in Venezuela because the country does not cooperate with U.S. law enforcement investigations.

Lozada’s case has been assigned to state District Judge Trudy White.

Can't see video below? Click here.

Follow Joe Gyan Jr. on Twitter, @JoeGyanJr.