A woman was sentenced to 12 years in prison Thursday for carjacking a Baton Rouge man's truck, running him over twice with it and later leaving his dog Roleaux to die in the abandoned, locked vehicle with rolled-up windows on a scorching hot Sunday last July.

David Mohr, who held a framed picture of Roleaux and wore a shirt bearing the name of the nonprofit Roleaux Foundation that he formed after his beloved dog’s death, said during a powerful victim impact statement that Leslie Aguillard is a “dangerous adult” with “an evil heart.”

Aguillard, 31, who appeared at her sentencing via video conferencing from jail, apologized profusely to Mohr and said she never intended to harm Mohr or Roleaux. She said her actions that followed her stealing of the idling truck were the result of panic.

State District Judge Richard Anderson ordered Aguillard's sentence to run consecutively with a seven-year prison term she received last month in Pointe Coupee Parish for violating her probation in a 2013 simple burglary case. The judge gave Aguillard credit for the year she has spent behind bars since her arrest in the carjacking case, and ordered her to undergo a psychological evaluation and follow any recommended treatment.

Anderson said Aguillard cannot own an animal for five years after she is released from prison.

Aguillard was on probation last summer when she stole David Mohr's truck, with 5-year-old Roleaux inside, from the parking lot of Pelican Donuts on Antioch Road.

Mohr suffered several hip fractures and other injuries in the July 7, 2019, carjacking when he tried to stop Aguillard. Roleaux, a 115-pound Weimaraner-Labrador mix, died of heat exhaustion inside the truck, which was found the next day.

“He was waiting for me to save him. Roleaux died because you didn't give a damn," Mohr, who called the canine his best friend, said inside Anderson’s courtroom Thursday. "Whatever you accomplish in your life you'll always be known as a dog-killer."

Aguillard, who was not in the courtroom, delivered a tearful apology to Mohr.

"I didn't mean to hurt anybody or Roleaux," she said, adding that she was high on drugs at the time. "I still bothers me every day. I just want to say how sorry I am. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry."

Aguillard pleaded guilty in March to carjacking, aggravated second-degree battery and aggravated cruelty to animals.

She had admitted to detectives that she took the truck, fled and locked the dog inside before getting rid of the keys, an arrest warrant states. She later directed officers to the truck, prosecutor Kathleen Barrios has said.

Mohr had stopped by the Pelican Donuts on that Sunday morning to buy a hamburger for lunch. He left Roleaux inside his idling truck with the air conditioning on. As he was waiting for his food, he noticed a woman rush out of the restaurant toward the truck.

Mohr, who spent 16 days in the hospital after the carjacking, tried to stop the theft, but, according to witnesses, Aguillard ran over Mohr and dragged him across the parking lot.

Mohr said in court Thursday that Roleaux was in the driver’s seat as he approached the truck after Aguillard jumped inside it.

“Roleaux had a fearful expression on his face, one I had never seen before,” he said.

When authorities located the vehicle the next day on South Sherwood Forest Boulevard, Roleaux was locked inside, dead from heat exhaustion.

“We were thinking you would have the decency to let him out,” Mohr said, adding that Aguillard tossed his cellphone out of the truck so she couldn’t be tracked. “You could have let him out before you walked away. You could have rolled the windows down. He could have been saved.”

Aguillard claimed Thursday she didn’t see Roleaux when first got into the truck, but noticed him later in the rearview mirror.

“I was worried about not getting caught. I didn’t mean to just leave him there. I should have called,” she said. “I think about that every day.

Aguillard’s statement brought her attorney, Karl Ludwig, to tears. He had asked Anderson for a 10-year sentence, with half of it suspended.

“You’ve been given opportunities to change your life,” the judge told Aguillard, but he said she has proven to be a danger to herself and others. “This case could easily have been a murder case. Mr. Mohr could have died.”

Mohr now owns another dog, a Labrador mix he renamed Roux.

The Roleaux Foundation was formed to help other animals.

Mohr said outside the courtroom that the healing process can now begin for him.

“It’s been a long road,” he said.

Email Joe Gyan Jr. at jgyan@theadvocate.com.