A key hearing in the cases of a Baton Rouge man charged with murder, kidnapping, cruelty to a juvenile and drug offenses in separate 2013 and 2015 incidents was postponed Tuesday until March 7.

Curtis King, 27, is set to stand trial April 2 on second-degree murder, aggravated kidnapping and drug counts in the May 2015 slaying of 24-year-old Taylor Latham and abduction of her then-2-year-old daughter.

The postponement of Tuesday's scheduled hearing, which was in part weather related, could cause King's trial to be pushed back.

King also is charged with second-degree cruelty to a juvenile and drug counts in the October 2013 death of his 6-month-old son. He will be tried separately on those charges.

Coroner's officials concluded Aiden King died primarily due to an inability to breathe in an oversized bed, but they said there wasn't enough evidence to determine whether the death was a homicide or an accident.

Prosecutors have alleged in court documents that King was "breaking down a large amount of marijuana" and left his son unattended behind closed doors in an adult bed.

Several motions in the cases have yet to be heard, including a prosecution request to introduce at King's murder, kidnapping and drug trial evidence that he also faces cruelty and drug counts in the death of his son.

That motion now will be heard March 7. King's court-appointed attorneys vehemently oppose it.

"The State's motion is nothing more than a backdoor attempt to introduce inadmissible character evidence to prove Curtis King committed the current pending charges," his attorneys contend in an opposition filed against it. "One would think that with more than 42 state witnesses there would be no need for such tactics."

East Baton Rouge Parish prosecutors allege in their motion that King's motivation for kidnapping Latham's daughter in 2015 was to conceal the woman's death and to avoid facing additional charges "for the death of yet another child."

A grand jury declined to indict King on a second-degree murder charge in the death of his son. Throughout his short life, the boy suffered rib fractures and significant burns after being placed in scalding bath water.

 Another motion to be heard March 7 is a defense request that King be tried separately on the murder, kidnapping and drug counts in the 2015 case. His attorneys claim the "cumulative effect of the evidence involving numerous counts" will make it impossible for him to receive a fair trial.

Prosecutors oppose any severance of those counts, arguing that King's alleged acts "are of the same or similar character or connected together or constitute parts of a common scheme or plan."

Latham's body was found in a car outside her Louisiana Avenue home the evening of May 4, 2015, with a bullet wound to the head, but prosecutors allege King killed her between the evening of May 1, 2015, and the morning of May 2, 2015.

Authorities have said King had an on-and-off relationship with Latham. Court documents allege he sent several threatening text messages to her in the hours before her death.

King, according to prosecutors, kidnapped Latham's daughter May 3, 2015. He was arrested three days later.

King told authorities he found Latham's daughter inside her house and took her with him to rescue her.

King's live-in girlfriend at the time dropped the girl off May 5, 2015, at a women's shelter on Scenic Highway. She was not prosecuted.

Follow Joe Gyan Jr. on Twitter, @JoeGyanJr.