An ex-Louisiana State Penitentiary guard was convicted Friday in the cover-up of the 2014 brutal assault of a shackled and handcuffed Angola inmate.
Former Angola Maj. Daniel Davis, 41, of Loranger, was not convicted of actually beating the inmate.
"We are very pleased that our client was acquitted in the beating of this inmate," said Andre Belanger, one of Davis' attorneys. "That is very, very important to us."
A Baton Rouge federal jury of seven men and five women deliberated for 11 hours before finding Davis guilty of conspiracy to obstruct justice, falsifying reports in a federal investigation, tampering with a witness and perjury.
He was found not guilty on one count of depriving the inmate of his rights in an alleged beating at a prison tier but the jury could not come to an agreement on a second deprivation of rights count involving an alleged beating on a prison breezeway. The judge declared a mistrial on that one count. There was no immediate word from the prosecution on whether they would retry him on that count.
U.S. District Judge John deGravelles did not set a sentencing date. Davis will remain free until his sentencing.
The inmate suffered fractured ribs, a punctured lung, dislocated shoulder and other injuries in the January 2014 incident, prosecutors said. The inmate sued Davis and several of his fellow guards after the incident, and the case was settled in 2016.
A then-Louisiana State Penitentiary guard took part in the brutal beating of a "thoroughly restrained" Angola inmate and masterminded a cover-…
Three former Angola corrections officers previously pleaded guilty in the case.
Ex-Capt. James Savoy, 39, of Marksville, admitted in November that he failed to intervene when he witnessed other guards using excessive force against the inmate. Savoy also admitted plotting with other corrections officers to cover up the beating and personally falsifying official prison records to cover up the attack.
John Sanders, 32, a former captain from Marksville, pleaded guilty in September to deprivation of rights under color of law and conspiracy to obstruct justice. He admitted punching the inmate repeatedly in the head in retaliation for an earlier incident.
Scotty Kennedy, 49, of Beebe, Arkansas, was the first former Angola guard to be charged in the case. He pleaded guilty in 2016 to depriving the inmate of the right to be free from cruel and unusual punishment, and to conspiracy to obstruct justice.
Davis and Sanders had prior excessive force complaints filed against them but Kennedy had a clean record, so prosecutors said Davis, Kennedy, Sanders and Savoy decided to falsely document that Kennedy was the only guard who used force on the inmate — believing that internal affairs investigators would view allegations against Kennedy with less scrutiny.
Three more former Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola guards were charged Wednesday in the 2014 beating of a handcuffed and shackled Angola…
Kennedy, Sanders and Savoy have not been sentenced. Kennedy and Sanders testified against Davis at his trial. Davis did not testify in his own defense.