A Baton Rouge man accused in the 2011 killing and dismembering of his wife, Brusly High School foreign language teacher Sylviane Finck Lozada, rejected an offer Tuesday to plead guilty to manslaughter and obstruction of justice in exchange for a 50-year prison sentence.

Oscar Lozada, 44, faces a mandatory term of life in prison if found guilty of second-degree murder. His trial is scheduled for July 13.

Prosecutor Dana Cummings told ad hoc Judge Tony Marabella that the offer – manslaughter with a 40-year sentence and obstruction of justice with a consecutive 10-year term – was made to Lozada to spare the victim's family, including the couple's 13-year-old daughter, from having to endure a trial.

After Lozada told the judge that he was rejecting the state’s offer, Cummings had a stern message for Lozada.

“All negotiations are off. There will be no more offers,” she said.

Cummings’ boss, East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore III, echoed her statements afterward and said the state “is prepared and will proceed to trial.”

“This offer was made solely to shield his young daughter from the additional trauma of trial,” Moore added. “The defendant rejected that offer, which is his right.”

Sylviane Lozada's body has never been found, but her blood was discovered on the ceiling and walls of the garage at the family's Spring Lake Drive home in Baton Rouge. Her death followed years of documented domestic abuse at the hands of her husband, authorities have said.

Oscar Lozada had purchased buckets and concrete around the time of his wife's disappearance in July 2011, court filings indicate.

Authorities say he fled to his home country of Venezuela with the couple's daughter after his wife went missing. Venezuela does not have an extradition agreement with the United States. He was arrested in Mexico in late 2018 and brought back to Baton Rouge.

Lozada confessed to killing and dismembering his wife, the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office has said, but he later tried to have the confession thrown out. The Louisiana Supreme Court has said the confession can be used at his trial.

Maj. Todd Morris testified in court last April that Lozada twice accompanied detectives in October 2018 to several locations off Interstate 10 in an unsuccessful attempt at recovering her remains. Cummings stated for the first time in court documents filed several days before that hearing that Sylviane Lozada’s body was dismembered and disposed of in buckets.

The Sheriff's Office searched waterways along I-10 between Baton Rouge and New Orleans but did not report finding anything.

The couple’s daughter lives with her mother's family in Belgium, her mother's home country.

Email Joe Gyan Jr. at jgyan@theadvocate.com.