A Lake Charles man accused in the April 11 death of a Baton Rouge nurse whom he allegedly attacked in a hospital a week earlier suffers from dementia, schizophrenia and irreversible brain damage, a judge said Monday.

State District Judge Bonnie Jackson revealed that information about Jessie Wayne Guillory, 55, after reviewing reports from two doctors she appointed in October to evaluate his mental health.

The East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney's Office charged Guillory in July with manslaughter in the death of Baton Rouge General nurse Lynne Truxillo, 56.

Guillory's scheduled arraignment the following month was postponed after he fell in jail, striking his head and suffering a brain injury. When he appeared in Jackson's courtroom in October, he expressed bewilderment over why he was in court, so the judge ordered him to be examined by two doctors.

The reports by psychiatrist Robert Blanche and psychologist Donald Hoppe found that Guillory suffers from dementia, schizophrenia and irreversible brain damage, Jackson said in court Monday.

Guillory, who remains in custody but was not in the courtroom, still has not been arraigned. His next court date is May 11. His attorney, assistant public defender Robert Ray, said he is considering a dual plea of not guilty and not guilty by reason of insanity.

Guillory was in a nursing home prior to the incident at Baton Rouge General, Jackson said.

Top stories in Baton Rouge in your inbox

Twice daily we'll send you the day's biggest headlines. Sign up today.

Guillory was a behavioral health patient at the hospital when he allegedly attacked Truxillo on April 4. She died a week later from complications resulting from the attack. Her death was ruled a homicide.

"It's a tragic situation for all parties involved," Ray said Monday.

The incident was the most serious of a series of attacks on health care personnel in Baton Rouge last year.

Guillory initially attacked another nurse at the hospital's Mid City campus, police have said, and Truxillo came to the aid of her colleague. Guillory then turned on her, grabbing her neck and striking her head on a desk. She injured her leg trying to escape, police said.

Doctors later determined Truxillo had torn her right ACL, which would require surgery, an arrest warrant states. But she began having trouble breathing and went into cardiac arrest multiple times before doctors were ultimately unable to revive her.

Truxillo's death, and other incidents involving attacks on medical personnel in Baton Rouge since her attack, have prompted demands for better hospital safety practices to minimize dangers to health care professionals.

Email Joe Gyan Jr. at jgyan@theadvocate.com.