A two-alarm fire that originated in the laundry room of the Sunrise Senior Living center on Siegen Lane caused the evacuation of 93 residents and one injury Monday evening.

All Sunrise residents were safe and accounted for, but one staff member suffered from minor smoke inhalation, said Eldon Ledoux, spokesman for the St. George Fire Department. Emergency Medical Services tended to the staffer at the scene.

Most of the Sunrise residents were safely placed in chairs in front of the building while firefighters attended to the blaze. Other residents remained in so-called safe areas inside the two-story center at 9351 Siegen Lane, Ledoux said.

The fire was called in at 6:49 p.m., he said. Firefighters were on the scene by 6:53 p.m., and the fire was brought under control by 7:13 p.m.

“(The fire) went out as a second alarm,” he said. “We brought in another contingent of staff to the scene.”

The fire started in a dryer and was contained to the laundry room, Ledoux said, although he was unsure what area of the building it was in.

The sprinkler system went off when the fire began, helping to contain it, he said. After the fire was extinguished, vent fans were used to clear the smoke.

Nine firetrucks and about 30 firefighters responded to the scene, as well as emergency vehicles and personnel from EMS, Acadian Ambulance and the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office.

Follow Annie Ourso on Twitter, @Annieourso.