The human remains found Friday on Nicholson Drive are believed to be those of LSU student Michael Nickelotte Jr., 21, whose parents had reported him as missing for almost two weeks, a Sheriff's Office spokeswoman said.

Hunters discovered the body at about 6:30 p.m. in a wooded area about 60 yards off Nicholson Drive and a half-mile south of Ben Hur Road, said Casey Rayborn Hicks, the spokeswoman.

Hicks said there was no evidence of foul play.

"The Coroner's Office will have to determine the cause of death," Hicks said. "At this time we have not found any evidence that indicates foul play, though this is still a very active investigation."

Hicks said the family has been notified that authorities believe the body found is their son, though DNA tests will be done to obtain a positive identification.

She said items discovered near the body led investigators to believe it's Nickelotte, but she wouldn't say what had been found.

Nickelotte's father, Michael Nickelotte Sr., posted a statement Friday night to a Facebook group that was created to aid in the search for his son.

"We must now begin the sorrowful process of honoring his short life with us and laying him to his eternal rest," his father wrote. "The support all have shown over this difficult time has been heartfelt and inspirational. Please continue to hold us in your prayers so that we may get through this difficult time."

Nickelotte was last seen Sept. 18 at East Campus Apartments.

His father and mother, Paulla Nickelotte Sr., held a news conference just hours before the body was found, asking the public to help them find their son.

Can't see video below? Click here.


The elder Nickelotte wiped away tears as he spoke, asking the public to check surveillance video and report anything suspicious to LSU Police.

The couple stood in front of a banner with pictures of their son and his green mountain bike, which was also missing. Family and friends put out a dozen lawn signs on the levee with Michael's story and pictures.

"Our whole purpose here is to keep the message alive that we want our son back," Michael Nickelotte Sr. said as he stood next to his wife.