stgeorgefire.adv_HS_001

Members of the St. George fire department respond to a call, Wednesday, November 14, 2018 in Baton Rouge, La.

A Mall of Louisiana restaurant was filled with smoke Thursday afternoon when a discarded cigarette lit a fire in a wall, filling the business with smoke.

The St. George Fire Department was called to BJ's Brewhouse on The Boulevard at 3:25 p.m. to reports of smoke in the building, which at the time was filled with patrons.

The fire began at the base of an exterior wall, and a smoldering fire made it through the interior wall, said fire department spokesman Eldon Ledoux.

An investigator on site confirmed the fire was the result of an improperly disposed cigarette; firefighters used thermal imaging cameras to assure it had been extinguished.

The fire was under control just before 4 p.m. and no injuries were reported.