Update: Baton Rouge police have identified the two officers involved in the incident in which Kevin Bajoie was subdued with stun guns before being arrested Saturday morning. Bajoie died later that day "from unknown reasons," police said.

Cpl. Jace Ducote has been employed with the department for six years, Baton Rouge police spokesman Cpl. Don Coppola said in a news release. Officer Maurice Duke has been employed with the department for five years. Both are assigned to the uniform patrol bureau.

An autopsy on Bajoie is scheduled for Monday at 1:30 p.m. and results should be ready around 3 p.m., East Baton Rouge Parish coroner Dr. Beau Clark said.


A 32-year-old man who Baton Rouge police said was about to attack an officer was shot twice with Taser guns Saturday morning and died later that day at a hospital “from unknown reasons,” police said.

Kevin Bajoie, of Zachary, was involved in a fight on Avenue C in Scotlandville, where responding officers used the stun guns to subdue him, Cpl. Don Coppola, a Baton Rouge police spokesman, said Sunday.

Officers responding to a report of people fighting at 9908 Avenue C about 11:30 a.m. Saturday found Bajoie lying on his back in the yard, Coppola said. Police believe Bajoie was involved in the fight, he said.

“As the first responding officer approached Bajoie, he unexpectedly jumped up and attempted to attack the officer with the intent to physically harm him,” Coppola said in a news release. “After observing the unprovoked, aggressive, erratic behavior displayed by Bajoie, two different responding officers invoked less than lethal force by using their Tasers.”

Coppola said Bajoie continued to resist after the officer deployed his stun gun. A second officer with a stun gun then shot Bajoie again, after which he was apprehended.

At least three officers responded to the incident, but only two fired their Tasers at Bajoie. Those two officers were placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure, Coppola said.

It also is protocol to call Emergency Medical Services whenever a Taser is deployed, Coppola said, but people shot with the stun guns usually are not taken to a hospital.

EMS personnel, however, “felt (Bajoie) needed to be taken to a hospital for further medical attention” because of his earlier behavior, Coppola said.

Bajoie later died at the hospital. No one else involved in the fight has been arrested, Coppola said.

Lawrence Bajoie, Kevin Bajoie’s father, spent Father’s Day loading his son’s car onto a trailer to move it back home from the Avenue C house where it was left.

“I’m at a loss,” he said of the death of his son.

He said he believes his son’s death was a result of being shot by the stun guns.

“That’s a lot of electricity going through your body,” Bajoie said, noting that his son was small-framed and weighed about 150 pounds.

Bajoie said he knew of no underlying medical problems Kevin Bajoie had.

He was unsure why his son was in Scotlandville.

“He was humble as a butterfly,” Bajoie said.