Trulondrick Norman

Trulondrick Norman

Another associate of Baton Rouge rapper NBA YoungBoy has been arrested amid heightened scrutiny of longstanding local rap beefs that authorities believe could have fueled a deadly shootout in Miami last month. 

The latest arrest came Monday when Baton Rouge police accused Turlondrick Norman, 21, of firing shots alongside NBA YoungBoy in a 2016 nonfatal shooting on Kentucky Street. 

NBA YoungBoy, whose real name is Kentrell Gaulden, was arrested more than two years ago for his role in that shooting and has since pleaded guilty to aggravated assault with a firearm. He is now being held in East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on a probation hold from that charge — following the Mother's Day shootout in Miami involving his entourage.

Norman's arrest comes just days after police also linked another associate of Gaulden's to the 2017 shooting death of fellow local rapper Gee Money, 22.  

Norman's arrest warrant alleges that he and Gaulden were riding in a car with two other people when the group drove to a house on Kentucky Street on Nov. 2, 2016, to find out who was responsible for the earlier shooting death of Gaulden's cousin Keondrae Ricks. 

Both Norman and Gaulden are then accused of opening fire at two people in the 2000 block of Kentucky Street. One person in their car was injured during the shooting but survived. 

Police had previously identified Norman as a member of Gaulden's rap group who performed under the name "NBA Selfpaid" as well as "NBA Boomer" and "BigB."

The Louisiana State Police Fugitive Task Force located Norman on Monday and arrested him after a traffic stop where he was also found in possession of a stolen gun. He was booked on two counts of attempted second-degree murder and possession of a stolen handgun. 

His arrest warrant also identifies the getaway driver in the 2016 shooting, who was a juvenile at the time. Baton Rouge police confirmed that the juvenile is the brother of Deandre Fields — the other associate of Gaulden's who was arrested last week and accused of killing Gee Money in Baton Rouge after he and Gaulden had declared each other rivals. 

Gee Money, whose real name was Garrett Burton, was found dead in September 2017 in the parking lot outside his music studio on Dallas Drive. Detectives in that case cited an ongoing rap music feud between the NBA group and Burton's Top Boy Gorilla record label or TBG Gorilla Gang. 

Top stories in Baton Rouge in your inbox

Twice daily we'll send you the day's biggest headlines. Sign up today.

Can't see video below? Click here.

Baton Rouge police spokesman Sgt. L'Jean McKneely Jr. would not say exactly why Gaulden's associates are being arrested now, years after the incidents. But he said detectives continue to work the cases: "Things are coming to light as they get more information and evidence." 

The rival rap groups have been linked to two other fatal shootings in 2018, but no suspects or motives have been identified in either case. 

Gaulden's agent, Desmond "Dump" Hardnett, was shot and killed in May 2018. 

Another local rapper, Blvd Quick, was shot to death months later in November 2018. Authorities have said they're investigating whether he was targeted because of his affiliation with Burton. 

Gaulden has been behind bars since May 17 when a state judge ordered him detained while authorities probe whether he's the man seen in a social media video making violent threats, which would constitute a violation of his probation conditions in the 2016 Kentucky Street shooting case. 

The same judge will decide at a June 21 hearing whether to revoke Gaulden's probation, which would send him to prison for 10 years. 

In the meantime, investigators from Miami are trying to get Gaulden to help them identify the gunmen who opened fire on his entourage outside the Trump International Beach Resort on Mother's Day. Gaulden was in Miami that weekend to perform at a music festival. 

The Miami Herald reported last week that Miami investigators recently traveled to Baton Rouge in hopes of meeting with Gaulden, but left empty-handed when he refused to speak with them. Gaulden's attorney blamed it on a miscommunication.

Follow Grace Toohey on Twitter, @grace_2e.