A woman was jailed Thursday after her baby was discovered to have head fractures and to have consumed Febreze, a household odor eliminating liquid, police said.
Monisha Parker, 32, showed up at Our Lady of the Lake hospital Thursday with her 15-month-old daughter who “was having a reaction from ingesting Febreze, causing swelling to the victim’s eye,” according to a Baton Rouge Police report.
The baby had a skull fracture, an eye socket fracture and multiple scratches on the head, the report said. The girl’s left eye was swollen shut, and hospital staff determined the injuries “were consistent with non-accidental trauma,” the statement said.
Parker told authorities she was the only one with her daughter from about 9 p.m. Wednesday to 9 a.m. Thursday at her residence at 700 N. 17th St., but later told officials her boyfriend was with her all night.
She also told authorities, “she doesn’t know what happened,” according to the report.
Parker said she found the child at 9 a.m. Thursday on the floor in a fetal position, the statement said.
The baby is still in the hospital and agents from the state Department of Child and Family Services were notified about the case, said Baton Rouge Police spokesman Cpl. L’Jean McKneely.
Parker’s boyfriend, who was not identified, may be interviewed as part of the ongoing investigation into the situation, McKneely said.
McKneely said the child is in moderate condition and is expected to survive.
Parker was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on a count of second-degree cruelty to juveniles, and her bond was set at $75,000, according to jail records.