Investigators: Arson suspected in Maryland Street fire _lowres

Advocate Staff file photo by Kerry Maloney

Grease left on a hot stove caused a kitchen fire that spread into the attic at 10410 Firelight Ave. on Sunday evening, the Baton Rouge Fire Department announced.

Firefighters arrived at 5:15 p.m. and had the blaze under control by 5:27 p.m., according to a press release.

The home suffered moderate fire damage and heavy smoke damage, department spokesman Mark Miles said.

Damage is estimated at $40,000 to the $250,000 home, plus another $10,000 to contents.