An overloaded power cord sent sparks flying in a lumber company warehouse early Sunday, but firefighters doused the flames before the whole warehouse caught fire.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department arrived at Schroeder Lumber Co., 11557 Darryl Drive., at 7:05 a.m. and found heavy smoke pouring from the building, department spokesman Curt Monte said.

Several pieces of equipment and stacks of lumber were ablaze, he said.

Firefighters extinguished the fire at 7:12 a.m., keeping it from spreading to the rest of the warehouse, Monte said.

No one was in the building at the time of the fire.

The business owners said they would be open Sunday, Monte said.