Pedestrian killed crossing Airline
A man attempting to cross Airline Highway on foot at 12:18 a.m. Saturday was struck and killed by a vehicle, Baton Rouge police said.
The body of Roderick Woods, 50, 57936 Center St., Plaquemine, was found in the 5500 block of Airline Highway, according to a Police Department report on the incident.
The report states the driver of the vehicle remained on the scene and was cooperating with officers in the investigation.
Nine arrested on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least nine people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Johnathan Alessi, 37, 2100 College Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and failure to maintain control.
- Kristen Clark, 25, 26229 Walker S. Road, Denham Springs, second-offense DWI, improper lane usage, drinking in a motor vehicle, reckless operation of a vehicle and license plate required.
- Caleb Coarsey, 27, 4344 39th St., Zachary, first-offense DWI and motor vehicle registration.
- John Davis, 24, 1004 Lakeshore Blvd., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, one-way street and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Robyn Jones, 23, 12281 Allison Drive, Geismar, first-offense DWI, motor vehicle inspection required, license plate required and equipment violation.
- Meghan McGinty, 18, 11854 Goodwood Blvd., first-offense DWI, disobeying a red light and driver’s license not in possession.
- Jeffery Nowell, 29, 11482 Florida Blvd., Walker, first-offense DWI, equipment violation, careless driving and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Dedrick Stewart, 32, 7506 Glenetta Court, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to signal/improper turn, failure to maintain control and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Donna Wheeler, 46, 15044 Lily Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle, following too close, improper lane usage, speeding and failure to signal/improper turn.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.
Editor’s note: This story was changed Feb. 17, 2013, to correct the DWI listing above in which it was erroneously reported that Caleb Coarsey, 27, 4344 39th St., Zachary, also was booked into Parish Prison on counts of possession of schedule II drugs and a seat belt violation. Coarsey was not booked with those two counts and they were removed.