Art Schultz attended a funeral for an old friend Thursday evening and stopped at McDonald's to pick up a fish sandwich for his wife before returning to their Zachary home. When he arrived, he found his wife tied up in the living room and suffering from head injuries.

Frances Jane Schultz, 73, was pronounced dead on the scene after emergency crews arrived around 8:20 p.m. in the 24000 block of Brian Road. Preliminary autopsy results released Friday by East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner Dr. Beau Clark revealed that the woman died from multiple gunshot wounds.

Authorities have released few details on the homicide, but East Baton Rouge Sheriff Sid Gautreaux told reporters Thursday night that investigators believe it started as a home invasion. The front door into the Schultz' home showed signs of forced entry with the glass apparently kicked out.

No suspects have been identified.

Art Schultz, 76, spoke to The Advocate on Friday morning and said he saw some signs of disturbance inside the house as well, which led him to suspect the attackers were searching for something. He said he found his wife tied up in their living room.

The two had been married for 54 years and had lived at their home in Zachary for more than four decades. The house sits on several acres where Schultz operates a commercial hay farm and keeps two horses.

He said he's worried about the business now because he and his wife have always run it together. The couple also raised a son who now lives in Texas.

They met in college at McNeese State University in Lake Charles and later moved to Zachary to start their business.

Schultz said his wife was originally from Eunice and loved living in the country. She would zip around the back roads on her bicycle, he said.

"She was giving, caring and a very pretty lady," he said. "A good country girl who would do anything for anybody. … We spent our lives together."

Frances Schultz had asked her husband for a fish sandwich, fries and a Coke from McDonald's on Thursday night, which he bought on his way home from the funeral. He said he tried calling her a few times while driving home, receiving no answer. But he said he wasn't worried because he had never before felt unsafe in their rural community.

Follow Lea Skene on Twitter, @lea_skene.