A man was fatally shot and two Baton Rouge police officers were stabbed Monday afternoon during an altercation on North 24th Street near North Boulevard, authorities said.

The patrol officers, both of whom are expected to recover, were stabbed at around 1 p.m. after intervening in a dispute between two people at 129 N. 24th St., Baton Rouge police Cpl. Tommy Stubbs said.

Officers fatally shot Bradford Louis Etheredge, 37, 129 N. 24th St., one of the men involved in the dispute, after he attacked the officers with a knife, Stubbs said.

The other man involved in the dispute, who was not identified, was taken into custody for questioning, Stubbs said.

“I’m not sure exactly what his role was,” Stubbs said.

The officers — a 29-year-old who has been with the department since 2009 and a 42-year-old who has been with the department since 2003 — were taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, Stubbs said. Both are expected to make a full recovery.

Two officers, whom Stubbs declined to identify, were placed on administrative leave after the shooting, per standard operating procedure in officer-involved shootings. The Baton Rouge Police Department is investigating the officer-involved shooting, Stubbs said.

Stubbs would not say whether the officers placed on leave were the same two who were injured in the stabbing, and he would not elaborate on the dispute.

The incident drew several onlookers to North Boulevard, which was blocked off from North 23rd Street to Evergreen Drive as detectives combed North 24th Street for clues. Crime scene investigators crawled on their hands and knees searching for evidence.

The department’s Mobile Crime Scene Unit was at the scene as well as East Baton Rouge Parish Mayor-President Kip Holden, District Attorney Hillar Moore III and Provisional Police Chief Carl Dabadie.

East Baton Rouge Parish court records show Etheredge has a history of run-ins with law enforcement.

He pleaded guilty in 2004 to unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling and was placed on three years of supervised probation.

In January 2008, he pleaded guilty to possession of drug paraphernalia and was given a six-month prison sentence with credit for time served, records show. A few months later, he pleaded guilty to illegal possession of a stolen firearm and was sentenced to two years in state prison with credit for time served.

Advocate staff writers Robert Stewart and Steven Ward contributed to this report.