BR man accused of threatening woman
A Baton Rouge man estranged from his girlfriend is in jail after he threatened to kill her and her family via text messages before setting fire to her apartment Saturday morning, displacing all 19 residents, police and fire officials reported.
Derrick T. Jones, 35, 5260 Osborne Avenue, Baton Rouge, then followed his ex-girlfriend to a hotel Sunday morning where the Red Cross was putting her up. At the hotel, Jones slashed her tires, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
The ex-girlfriend contacted Baton Rouge police about the slashed tires.
An officer responded and was taking the girl to a new location, but en route, she spotted Jones following them, the affidavit says.
Police stopped Jones, and he was booked Sunday afternoon in Parish Prison on counts of aggravated arson, terrorizing, stalking and aggravated burglary. He is being held in lieu of $75,000 bail.
Authorities said the weekend ordeal began when Jones entered the girl’s apartment Saturday morning on Sherwood Hollow Court, damaging her possessions, including a large flat-screen TV, before setting fire to her bedroom.
Firefighters responded to the fire at 10:30 a.m. and had it under control 12 minutes later. The fire forced the evacuation of the residents of all four units, all of which were damaged, said Curt Monte, a spokesman for the Fire Department.
5 arrested for driving while intoxicated
Authorities arrested at least five people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish — including a man on a fifth-offense DWI — and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Monday, booking records show.
- Shannon Bellue, 42, 8405 Oak St., Sorrento, fifth-offense DWI, failure to maintain control, reckless operation, seat belt violation, expired motor vehicle inspection, following too close and operating a vehicle while driver’s license suspended for a prior offense.
- Emilie Hill, 42, 12525 Coursey Blvd., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driving with a suspended or revoked driver’s license and driving with license plate switched.
- Matthew Kilgore, 31, 7743 Bles Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to yield while entering a highway from a private road, driving with a suspended or revoked driver’s license and possession of an alcoholic beverage in a vehicle.
- Jeremiah Millien, 33, 3513 Mt. Calvary Lane, Donaldsonville, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, driving with a suspended or revoked driver’s license and possession of an alcoholic beverage in a vehicle.
- Lories Thompson, 47, 123 W. Edna St., Gonzales, first-offense DWI, driving with a suspended or revoked driver’s license, proof of insurance required and an equipment violation.
Compiled from staff reports.