Man arrested on rape charge
Baton Rouge police on Sunday arrested a 32-year-old Baton Rouge man accused of raping a woman Saturday between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Police booked Johnny Ray Jackson, 9523 Swingalong St., into Parish Prison on one count of forcible rape, an affidavit of probable cause says.
Jackson told police the sex was consensual and he turned himself in after he learned the woman told police he raped her, the affidavit says.
Fire Department investigating blaze
The Baton Rouge Fire Department is investigating the arson of a vacant building late Saturday in the 2100 block of Iroquois Street
Firefighters were called about the blaze at 10:30 p.m. Saturday and the building was engulfed when the first units arrived, Fire Department spokesman Curt Monte said in a news release.
The power lines above the structure had burned and were live on the ground, Monte said, and Entergy Corp. was called to shut off the lines.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire within about 30 minutes after arrival and kept it from spreading to neighboring structures, Monte said.
The building, which was valued at approximately $40,000, was considered a total loss, Monte said.
Anyone with information about the fire is encouraged to call investigators at (225) 354-1419.
Eight booked on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least eight people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Cherrisse Chavis, 42, 2231 Capital Park, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license not in possession, improper lane usage and reckless operation.
- Cyntha Daas, 45, 3838 Thomas Road, Lot 24, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
- Julia Green, 49, 735 Meadow Bend Drive, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI and operating a vehicle while under suspension for prior offense.
- Taylor Jeane, 22, 188 Trails End, Valley View, Texas, second-offense DWI, reckless operation, failure to maintain control.
- Ronald Sylvest, 23, 5075 Nicholson Drive, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, negligent injuring, reckless operation, seat belt violation.
- Leslie Variste, 57, 1814 General Lee Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, hit-and-run and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Curtis Williams, 54, 8410 Betty Smothers Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and disobeying a red light.
- Ivan Wilson, 35, 58161 Washington St., Plaquemine, first-offense DWI, driver’s license not in possession, headlights required and reckless operation of a vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.