Sheriff’s Office: Cigar containing ‘Mojo’ leads to overdose, arrest on murder count _lowres

OJ Bonds, 20

A 20-year-old Baton Rouge man who gave a cigar containing Mojo to two people who overdosed on the drug — one of them fatally — was arrested and booked Sunday on a count of second-degree murder, the Sheriff’s Office said.

O.J. Bonds walked up to a man and woman at the Motel 6 on Rieger Road at about 6:30 p.m. Aug. 31 and offered to trade the cigar filled with Mojo, a synthetic herbal incense used as an alternative to marijuana, in exchange for regular cigarettes, an East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office report says.

Bonds later told deputies the two “began foaming at the mouth and appeared to require medical attention” after smoking the cigar, the report says.

As the two victims began to overdose from the drug, Bonds walked into their motel room and stole a backpack and a cellphone, the report says.

Witnesses who saw Bonds swap the drug for the cigarettes and take the backpack provided deputies with his description, the report says. Deputies found Bonds at a nearby motel where they found a package of “Super Magic” Mojo in his possession, according to the report.

Tests at the State Police Crime Lab later revealed the package of “Super Magic” Mojo contained a Schedule I synthetic cannabinoid. Cannabinoid is any of the chemical compounds that are the active principles of marijuana.

Paramedics rushed the two victims to a hospital, the report says, but one of them died despite doctors’ efforts to save him.

The woman, who survived the overdose, confirmed Bonds’ account of the trade of cigarettes for Mojo, the report says, but didn’t remember anything after inhaling the drug.

“Her first memory after smoking the Mojo was of waking up in the hospital,” a Sheriff’s Office detective wrote in the report.

Bonds was initially booked into Parish Prison in August on a count of simple burglary for taking the backpack and a cellphone from the room.

A Sheriff’s Office arrest report says Bonds told deputies he took the backpack and cellphone “for personal use because he was living on the street.”

An East Baton Rouge Coroner’s Office report released in February confirmed the man’s death was caused by an overdose on the synthetic cannabinoid, the report says.

Bonds, who told deputies he was homeless, was released on bail in October, according to court records, but was arrested again Sunday morning and booked on counts of second-degree murder and possession with intent to distribute a Schedule I drug.

He remained in Parish Prison Sunday evening. Bail on the murder count has been set at $200,000.

Follow Bryn Stole on Twitter, @BrynStole.