The Baton Rouge Fire Department says an overloaded extension cord touched off a fire Sunday afternoon that destroyed a family home on Gus Young Avenue.

Firefighters arrived at the home at 4816 Gus Young Ave., just after 3 p.m. Sunday and found smoke coming out of the front of the house, said Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Mark Miles.

Miles said the fire began with the extension cord in the living room and “quickly spread throughout the house.”

Although firefighters brought the flames under control within 15 minutes of arrival, Miles said the house is a loss.

One resident was home at the time but was not injured, Miles said. No firefighters were hurt.