Coals and ashes from a fireplace in a trash can may have caused a Thursday night fire at a home on South Burgess Avenue that destroyed a patio and damaged the living room and attic.

Baton Rouge firefighters were called to 1033 S. Burgess Ave. at 9:24 p.m. to put out a fire, according to a fire department news release.

The occupants of the home told firefighters that they put coals and ashes from the fireplace in a metal trash can in the back of the home on the patio, the release says.

Firefighters believe the material smoldered until it ignited other trash in the can causing a fire to extend up the wall, into the attic and vented through the roof, the release says.

No one was injured in the fire.