Man charged with trying to kill fetus
Police arrested a 26-year-old man Wednesday in the Tuesday beating of a woman with whom he has a child, an affidavit of probable cause says.
The victim, who is three months pregnant, told police Daniel Oriakhi, 16624 S. Amite Drive, became angry at her when he found out she was pregnant with another man’s child, the affidavit says.
Oriakhi threatened to “beat that baby out of (her)” and throw her and their child off the Amite River Bridge, the affidavit says.
The woman told police Oriakhi beat her with his hands and hit her in the stomach and face with a hammer, the affidavit says. He also beat her with a cordless telephone after he broke the hammer on her knee, the affidavit says.
The woman had bruises on her stomach and back, several indentions on her forehead from the hammer and a broken left arm, the affidavit says.
Hospital staff told police the fetus appears to be in good condition and added it is too early to know if there will be birth defects, the affidavit says.
Oriakhi told police he hit the woman with the hammer but only after she attacked him, the affidavit says.
Oriakhi was booked into Parish Prison on one count each of attempted second-degree murder and attempted second-degree feticide.
9 booked into prison on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least nine people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and 2:30 a.m. Thursday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
• Stephen Altobello, 33, 3990 Washington, Houston, third-offense DWI, driver’s license expired, failure to maintain control and improper lane usage.
• Courtney Braxton, 19, 307 N. Roscoe Ave., Gonzales, first-offense DWI, driver’s license not in possession, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Madison Graham, 17, 438 Venzule Drive, Brusly, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage, reckless operation of a vehicle.
• David Herring, 40, 1905 N. Ninth St., second-offense DWI, insurance required, other laws of the road and improper turns.
• Graham Hunt, 38, 11435 E. Black Oak Drive, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
• David Lauve, 20, 11451 Cotton Lane, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Melissa Mouton, 43, no address available, first-offense DWI, failure to signal, improper turn, driver’s license required or expired and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Jordan Schott, 21, 8751 Bayside Ave., first-offense DWI, speeding and improper lane usage.
• Alkareem Sims Samuel, 30, 1010 Chariot Drive, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control and insurance required.