West Feliciana Sheriff’s Office: Uncle shoots, kills nephew; the two were roommates _lowres

Anthony Nixon

A grand jury indicted a St. Francisville man Thursday on a second-degree murder charge in the September killing of his nephew in West Feliciana Parish.

Anthony Montreal Nixon, 31, is charged in the shooting death of his nephew, Brandon Nixon, 28, just before 11:30 a.m. Sept. 21 on Coates Road.

Brandon Nixon was shot twice in the head, once in the arm and once more in the leg, 20th Judicial District Attorney Sam D’Aquilla said Thursday.

Anthony Nixon told deputies two days after the shooting that his nephew had been stealing from his house and was told not to come back to the house.

“The uncle was accusing the nephew of stealing from him all the time, and they had some conflicts between them before as far as altercations,” D’Aquilla said.

Family members told authorities that Brandon Nixon had stolen from his uncle before.

“Whether that’s a clear motive is hard to tell,” D’Aquilla said.

Deputies could not interview Anthony Nixon on the day of the shooting, saying he was too intoxicated, according to a Sheriff’s Office report. But in a later interview, he told deputies he shot Brandon Nixon.

Anthony Nixon, 5496 Blackmore Road, who was booked into the West Feliciana Parish Detention Center, told deputies he and another man had driven by his home earlier and saw Brandon Nixon climbing out of his window. The uncle said he believed his nephew was stealing from him at the time.

It was only later, though, when a group of people were hanging out on the street outside his house that he grabbed a gun from a bystander and shot his nephew four times, D’Aquilla said.

“There were three other people out on the street in front of the uncle’s house,” D’Aquilla said. “Everyone started ducking and getting out of the way. When they stood up, they saw the nephew on the ground.”

D’Aquilla said investigators found five shell casings at the scene, indicating that Brandon Nixon was the target.