A family’s dog died and a home was destroyed on North 28th Street after a space heater caused nearby objects to catch fire Sunday morning, the Baton Rouge Fire Department reported.

Firefighters arrived at 1024 N. 28th St. to find heavy smoke billowing from the home, as the fire spread from a bedroom to an attic by 10:30 a.m., said Curt Monte, a BRFD spokesman. Just over an hour later, two residents inside escaped unhurt and firefighters had put out the blaze — but a dog had perished inside, Monte said.

The home, originally valued at $50,000, was considered a total loss, Monte added. Red Cross arrived to assist the residents.

Space heaters should stay three feet away from anything that could burn, and should not be turned on while children or pets are nearby, Monte said.