A Baton Rouge man accused of killing his wife and injuring two relatives during a stabbing rampage in November was taken back into custody Tuesday after having been released from jail Friday on an incorrect bail amount. 

Authorities started searching for Michael Vallery, 50, on Monday because the judge assigned to his case had responded to news of Vallery's release by doubling his bail and issuing another warrant for his arrest. 

State Police spokesman Trooper Taylor Scrantz said Vallery was apprehended in Abbeville on Tuesday evening.

Vallery was originally arrested Christmas morning on a count of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder, which required him to be held without bail. However, he was indicted earlier this month on a count of second-degree murder and two counts of attempted second-degree murder after a grand jury reviewed the case.

The indictment on lesser charges granted Vallery the opportunity to be released on bail.

Court documents show 19th Judicial District Judge Mike Erwin initially set Vallery's bail at $200,000 total — $100,000 for the murder charge and $50,000 each for the attempted murder charges.

But Vallery was released from jail Friday after posting $150,000 after an apparent paperwork error. 

Erwin then increased Vallery's bail to $500,000 in court documents signed Monday, noting the defendant had already posted bail on $150,000. The judge also signed another arrest warrant, said Hillar Moore III, East Baton Rouge Parish district attorney. 

Moore said it's unusual for a judge to raise defendants' bail after they've been released, but it happens sometimes, particularly in serious cases. 

Vallery is accused of breaking into his estranged wife's house in Baton Rouge and raping, strangling and battering her. He left after the initial attack, then returned through a rear bedroom window and stabbed her and two of her relatives in the living room.

Witnesses said he left again but returned a final time, inflicting fatal stab wounds on Stefanie Vallery before fleeing. The attack occurred on Honey Drive in a quiet residential subdivision off Perkins Road near Siegen Lane.

Stefanie Vallery's sister and former Olympic volleyball player Danielle Scott-Arruda was hospitalized with severe injuries after trying to protect her sister. Stefanie Vallery's daughter Danielle Scott also was injured but did not require hospitalization.

Michael Vallery was arrested more than a month later, on Christmas morning.

Follow Lea Skene on Twitter, @lea_skene.