Today in The Rundown: Gov. Edwards backs Medicaid reforms; TOPS changes proposed; the chief justice of the state Supreme Court offers ideas for tacking the state’s high incarceration rate; and more.
Days until the 2016 regular Louisiana legislative session ends: 82
JBE: The governor’s plan for Medicaid expansion is beginning to take shape and could include co-pays and other “personal responsibility” measures. http://bit.ly/1R1N0Sm
Higher ed: Bills that would change TOPS and make it easier to close some colleges are among the proposals that have been brought up for the session. http://bit.ly/1Pb2lxT
Judiciary: Louisiana’s Chief Justice Bernette Johnson says could take cues from others to trim its prison population. http://bit.ly/1S38nVQ
Attorney General: Jeff Landry is seeking to take control of nearly 40 lawsuits related to oil and gas permits and damage to coastal properties. http://bit.ly/1S38lxo
Workforce: Louisiana’s total nonfarm employment was down by 15,400 jobs in January from a year earlier. http://bit.ly/1SQMivY
Cleco: Hoping the state’s regulators will change their minds on the $4.9 billion sale of Cleco investors have offered what amounts to a free month of electricity this summer for most of the utility’s customers. http://bit.ly/1WpjQQX
Prisons: Angola employees worked at former warden Burl Cain’s private properties. http://bit.ly/1R0zu1p
The House comes in at 4 p.m. and the Senate comes in at 9 a.m.
Revenue Estimating Conference meets at 10:30 a.m. for an update on the budget picture.
- Health and Welfare meets at 9 a.m. in Room 5.
- Administration of Criminal Justice meets at 9:30 a.m. in Room 6.
- Insurance meets at 9:30 a.m. in Room 3.
- Education meets at 10 a.m. in Room 1.
- Natural Resources and Environment meets at 1 p.m. in Room 4.
- House and Governmental Affairs meets at 1:30 p.m. in Room 2.
- Senate Executive Committee meets at 9:45 a.m. in Room F.
- Gov. John Bel Edwards is scheduled to address the National Association of Social Workers Louisiana Conference at 9 a.m. at the Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center.
- At noon, Edwards will address the Louisiana Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association Annual Meeting at the Old State Capitol.