We have the Baton Rouge Police Department and the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office both servicing the general BR area. Whom should we call for what?

Response from Baton Rouge police spokesman Sgt. Donald Stone:

“The Baton Rouge Police Department has jurisdiction only within the city limits of Baton Rouge and will respond to all complaints within the city.

“The East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office has jurisdiction parishwide, including within city limits of Baton Rouge, Baker, Zachary and Central.

“Although the Sheriff’s Office will respond if requested, it would be my suggestion that if you live within the city limits of Baton Rouge that you contact the Baton Rouge Police Department for police-related matters.”

Response from Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Casey Rayborn Hicks:

“The Sheriff’s Office has jurisdiction throughout the parish of East Baton Rouge. The office’s primary responsibility, however, is the unincorporated portions of the parish, as they have no other means of law enforcement protection. While the Sheriff’s Office’s primary responsibility is the unincorporated areas, the sheriff is the chief law enforcement officer of the parish, and will therefore respond anywhere in the parish when requested.

“Within the parish, there are city police departments that have jurisdiction within their city limits. If you call 911, they will connect you with your primary agency unless you request otherwise. If you are in an emergency situation, it is best to call 911 and the appropriate agency will be dispatched. Otherwise, you can contact your local city police department while inside that city and the Sheriff’s Office from anywhere inside the parish.”

Harding Boulevard exit

Are there any plans in the works to relieve some of the backup on Interstate 110 at the Harding Boulevard/Southern University/Metro Airport exit??

Response from Bryan Harmon, deputy director of the East Baton Rouge Parish Department of Public Works:

“Both I-110 and Harding are state routes so they do not fall under our jurisdiction; however we have worked together with them (the state) to discuss potential solutions.

“These solutions range from some minor adjustments as to who has the thru right of way and who must yield, to roadway and ramp modifications, all the way to a major interchange modification, which would include a flyover ramp (this is extremely costly and has air rights conflicts with runway approach at the airport).”

Send questions to Ask The Advocate, P.O. Box 588, Baton Rouge, LA 70821-0588; or fax to Ask The Advocate, (225) 388-0297; or email