My name is Garrett Galjour. I am a recent graduate of LSU with a degree in journalism. Due to my cerebral palsy, I am also a person with a disability.

Since graduating from LSU in December, I have had trouble finding a place to live and have had to move back in with my parents.

I have visited many apartment complexes in the Baton Rouge area and have not found one complex that has a unit with the accommodations I need.

For instance, most complexes have “handicap accessible” units, but all or most of the bathrooms in the units have tubs with rails that some people can use to transfer into the tub. However, due to my disability, I am unable to transfer into a tub and require what is called a “roll in” shower.

While I understand that these units with a tub are Americans with Disabilities Act compliant, I do not understand why some of these apartment complexes don’t have a variety of units that either have a “roll-in” shower or a tub with a rail.

I am not one to usually bring attention to myself or my disability; I just would like to know apartment complex managers’ train of thought on ADA compliance and personally for myself would like to be able to live on my own independently. Thank you for your time.

Garrett Galjour

community relations assistant

Baton Rouge