Coach Dale Brown’s recent article about Louisiana’s disgraceful ratings as the “worst state in the country” and his call for “immediate and massive action” before we implode from within was right on target. So this begs the question: What does “massive action” look like? Before one can fix a problem, he must first properly define the problem. Louisiana and America’s primary problem can be defined simply as the disintegration of the family unit. If it is not fixed soon, our country will indeed implode from within. Consider the following facts:
- We now have a government that pays its citizens in a manner that promotes having children out of wedlock, not working, and buying opioids.
- Our political leaders have promoted the removal of God from our schools and public squares.
- Over the last 50 years, we have seen out-of-wedlock childbirths increase from 24 percent to 73 percent for black mothers, and from 8 percent to 39 percent for other mothers.
- Thomas Sowell, the famous African-American economist/professor, stated that “a vastly expanded welfare state in the 1960s destroyed the black family — in 1960 only 22 percent of black children were raised with only one parent; by 1985, 67 percent of black children were raised with either one parent or no parent — kids from homes where they are not given behavioral standards, who are then not held to behavioral standards in schools, are on a path that can lead them straight into prison or fatal confrontations with the police."
- With the decimation of the family unit and the removal of God has come the erosion of moral values, exploding drug addiction, pervasive poverty, unemployment, social chaos in disadvantaged neighborhoods (think Ferguson, Baltimore, Dallas, New Orleans and Baton Rouge), and now even 8,000-plus expulsions of pre-K thru third-grade Louisiana students as there is no respect for authority.
- In 2016, New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu gave a major address on violence in New Orleans and said there were no easy solutions “since it was intractably tied to broken families and disintegrated social structures.”
What is the solution to this problem? Perhaps Sowell said it best: “As long as millions of Americans vote on the basis of who gives them free stuff, look for their freedom to be eroded away, bit by bit.” Since our political leaders will never fix Washington, it is now up to We The People to fix this mess by using what our founding fathers gave us — Article V of the U.S. Constitution. I recommend you look up conventionofstates.com to learn more about this “massive action plan.”
As Ronald Reagan warned us, “freedom is never more than a generation from extinction.”