Photos: LSU takes on Texas A&M _lowres

Advocate staff photo by TRAVIS SPRADLING -- After troubles earlier in the game, LSU place kicker Colby Delahoussaye (42) kicks a long field goal to cap a fourth quarter LSU drive, Thursday, Nov. 27, 2014 in College Station, Texas. LSU won, 23-17.

LSU kicker Colby Delahoussaye, the lone survivor of a fiery car crash that killed two others, said he'll return to "100 percent" in a "very short amount of time."

Delahoussaye, a senior from New Iberia and the Tigers' presumed starting kicker, returned to Louisiana on Monday after Saturday night's crash in Wisconsin left him with second-degree burns on his left thigh, stitches to his head and chest and hip bruising.

Delahoussaye was alone in the backseat of a two-door Mercedes coupe that slid off a rain-soaked roadway, tumbled down a 40-foot embankment and slammed into a tree, catching fire. Nebraska punter Sam Foltz, in the front passenger seat, and former Michigan State punter Mike Sadler, the driver, died at the scene.

"I want to say thank you so very much for all the thoughts and prayers, it truly means so much to me and my family," Delahoussaye wrote in a message posted on Twitter on Tuesday. "I am back in Louisiana and have very minor injuries and will recover back to 100% in a very short amount of time. The main thing I want every one to focus on is sending many prayers to Mike and Sam's families. They need prayers now more than ever. They were amazing friends and I will miss them dearly."

It’s unclear whether Delahoussaye will begin preseason camp with LSU on Aug. 4, his father, Dwayne, told The Advocate on Monday. LSU is calling in a burn specialist to treat the wounds, he said. Second-degree burns take 10 to 21 days to heal, according to medical websites.

Flames that scorched Delahoussaye's left thigh woke him from an unconscious state, leading to his escape from the crash.

“All he remembers is that the fire was burning his leg and that woke him up,” Dwayne Delahoussaye said. “He was knocked unconscious. The burning sensation revived him. That’s all he remembers. He doesn’t even know how he got out. He doesn’t know where he crawled out of.”

The accident remains under investigation by the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department. All three players were at a weekend kicking camp at Wales, Wisconsin, about 30 miles west of Milwaukee. The trio was en route to a wedding reception before the accident, Dwayne Delahoussaye said.

After he escaped the burning car, Delahoussaye called 911 on his shattered iPhone.

Delahoussaye was wearing his seatbelt, and he was knocked unconscious in the crash, leaving a wound on his head that needed a few stitches, his father said. Because of the jolt of the crash, the seatbelt left a lot of bruising around Delahoussaye's chest and hips. X-rays performed Sunday morning at Waukesha Memorial Hospital revealed no internal injuries.

The second-degree burns on the top of Colby’s left thigh are causing him significant pain, his father said.

“He’s in a good bit of pain with that leg,” Dwayne said. “It’s very painful.”

Delahoussaye spent Monday morning meeting with Karen Sadler, mother of Mike Sadler, the driver of the car. Delahoussaye recounted the events of Saturday night in an emotional conversation with Karen Sadler that unfolded on the drive to the Milwaukee airport Monday morning.

“She was able to visit with Colby and get closure,” Dwayne Delahoussaye said. “It was a tough thing. She was trying to put all of the pieces together.”

Follow Ross Dellenger on Twitter, @RossDellenger