Glen Logan launched into a padded yellow dummy with so much force that the sled rammed into a wall.
The padded exterior of the wall collapsed.
"That's a good job right there!" defensive line coach Ed Orgeron hollered.
Logan and the other hefty LSU defensive linemen showed off their size during Thursday afternoon's practice - their first drills of preseason camp. Players, mostly freshmen, went through drills in the indoor football facility.
Logan, Rashard Lawrence and Edwin Alexander flashed the size that made them highly touted prospects. The trio combines to weigh about 1,000 pounds. They swung their weight into a sled that banged against a wall so hard that bits of the pads covering the wooden wall fell to the ground (see the video below).
More nuggets from the morning practice are below:
LSU opened preseason camp on Thursday.
- On the injury front, OLB Tashawn Bower and OL Maea Teuhema were the only two players who did not participate in Thursday's opening day of camp. Teuhema is nursing a left ankle sprain. Bower's status is unclear. Miles said Thursday afternoon that Bower is "nicked" but coaches "expect him back in the next couple of days."
- Freshman signees Cameron Lewis and Eric Monroe participated in Thursday afternoon's practice - a sign the two safety prospects are healthy. Both underwent off-season surgeries this spring. Monroe had surgeries on his shoulder (also a torn labrum) and knee (a torn lateral meniscus). Lewis had surgery for a torn labrum on his left shoulder.
- One of the most impressive freshmen, as far as build, is Rahssan Thornton, an outside linebacker from Texas who players just call "Ray."
- LSU aligned in a full team set toward the end of the viewing window of practice. Here was the lineup: QB Justin McMillan, FB David Ducre, RB Nick Brossette, C Lloyd Cushenberry, RG Donavaughn Campbell, RT Jakori Savage, LG Turner Simmers, LT Willie Allen, WR Jazz Ferguson, TE Jacory Washington/Jamal Pettigrew.
- Caleb Roddy practiced with the tight end group. He signed as a defensive end, but coaches moved him to tight end upon enrolling in June, he told us for a story then.
Denham Springs defensive end Caleb Roddy spent much of the spring learning LSU’s defensive p…
- QB: Lindsey Scot, Justin McMillan
- RB: Nick Brossette, Lanard Fournette, Reshaud Henry
- FB: David Ducre, Trey Gallman
- OL: Jakori Savage, Donavaughn Campbell, Lloyd Cushenberry, Rory Luke, Willie Allen, Turner Simmers, Jibrail Abdul-Aziz, Justin Mikush
- TE: Jacory Washington, Jamal Pettigrew, Caleb Roddy
- WR: Jazz Ferguson, Tyron Johnson, Stephen Sullivan, Dee Anderson, Drake Davis
- DL: Glen Logan, Edwin Alexander, Rashard Lawrence, Marcus Roberts, Jordan Harper
- ILB: M.J. Patterson, Jordan Rucker
- OLB: Rahssan Thornton, Sci Martin
- DB: Saivion Smith, Greedy Williams, Xavier Lewis, Kristian Fulton, Cameron Lewis, Eric Monroe, T.J. Lemoine, Brandon Surtain, Abraham Wallace
- SP: Connor Culp, Bailey Raiborn