We’ve tracked down 15 national bowl projections this week, and 14 of them have the LSU Tigers in a CFP semifinal or CFP bowl following their 35-28 win over Florida to improve to 6-0.
Three projections have LSU in one of the two CFP semifinals – the Cotton or Orange bowls – though the most common pick (eight of them) have the Tigers in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl the night of Jan. 1.
As we said last week, this is a strong possibility should LSU lose at Alabama but win the rest of its games to finish 10-1, likely missing the SEC Championship Game. The prospect of the Tigers being led by Heisman Trophy front runner Leonard Fournette only enhances LSU’s appeal.
The lone dissenter in LSU’s bowl picks, though it is hardly an off-the-wall flyer, is CollegeFootballNews.com’s Pete Fiutak. He has the Tigers in the Citrus Bowl against Wisconsin. Again, not a bad destination and certainly possible. But I keep doubting LSU and Wisconsin will want to get thrown together in a Jan. 1 bowl when they open the season against each other in September in Green Bay. That said, the Citrus is the one non-CFP bowl the SEC is tied into that is still allowed to make its own picks. the CFP selection committee places teams in the CFP semifinals and four other bowls while the SEC decides where its teams go to bowls below the Citrus.
By the way, the first CFP rankings will be released Tuesday, Nov. 3 at 6:30 p.m. CST on ESPN. Should LSU beat Western Kentucky on Saturday to move to 7-0, and with an open date the following weekend, the Tigers would certainly be expected to be in or close to the coveted top four.
- Bill Bender, The Sporting News: CFP semifinal-Orange Bowl vs. Baylor
- Greg Ostendorf (SEC blog) and Jake Trotter (Big 12 blog), ESPN.com: CFP semifinal-Cotton Bowl vs. Baylor
- College SportsMadness.com: Sugar Bowl vs. Baylor
- Brad Crawford, SaturdayDownSouth.com: CFP semifinal-Cotton Bowl vs. Baylor
- Zac Ellis, SI.com: Sugar Bowl vs. TCU
- Pete Fiutak, CollegeFootballNews.com: Citrus Bowl vs. Wisconsin
- Dan Harralson, Football.com: Sugar Bowl vs. TCU
- Mike Huguenin, GridironNow.com: Sugar Bowl vs. Oklahoma
- Jason Kirk, SBNation.com: Sugar Bowl vs. TCU
- Brett McMurphy, ESPN.com: Peach Bowl vs. Memphis
- Jerry Palm, CBSSports.com: Sugar Bowl vs. Baylor
- Brant Parsons, Orlando Sentinel: CFP semifinal-Cotton Bowl vs. Baylor
- Mark Schlabach, ESPN.com: Sugar Bowl vs. TCU
- Erick Smith, USA Today: Sugar Bowl vs. Baylor
- Phil Steele, PhilSteele.com: Peach Bowl vs. Florida State
- Cotton Bowl (CFP semifinal): Dec. 31, Arlington, Texas
- Orange Bowl (CFP semifinal): Dec. 31, Miami
- Sugar Bowl: Jan. 1, New Orleans
- Peach Bowl: Dec. 31, Atlanta
- Citrus Bowl: Jan. 1, Orlando