FINAL: UCLA 38, LSU 27 - The Bruins improved to 2-0 with a decisive victory over the Tigers at the Rose Bowl. UCLA outgained LSU 469-378 in the game with the Tigers (0-1) managing just 48 yards on the ground. LSU QB Max Johnson completed 26 of 46 passes for 330 yards, three touchdowns and one interception.
Third quarter update: UCLA 24, LSU 20 - The LSU offense began to get its footing in the third quarter, but it still trails UCLA after three quarters. Through three quarters, LSU QB Max Johnson is 21-of-38 for 249 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.
Second quarter update: UCLA 14, LSU 10 - LSU put up 10 points in the second quarter, but it wasn't a pretty first half for the Tigers on offense. The Bruins outgained the Tigers 214-141 in the first half. LSU QB Max Johnson was inconsistent in the first half, but the Tigers' receivers dropped several passes. Johnson was 14-of-27 for 138 yards with one touchdown and non interceptions in the first half.
First quarter update: LSU 0, UCLA 0 - The Tigers and Bruins are in a scoreless tie after one quarter. The LSU defense flashed impressive speed in tracking down UCLA QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson, but the Tigers never really got rolling on offense with just 52 yards in the first 15 minutes. UCLA put up 51 yards.
The LSU football team makes the 1,800-mile trek to Los Angeles for a FOX-televised battle against UCLA that will open the 2021 campaign for the Tigers at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 4.
Both teams are coming off subpar seasons with LSU’s Ed Orgeron feeling the heat after a 5-5 campaign that followed up a 15-0 mark and a 2019 national championship. Chip Kelly’s standing as head coach at UCLA isn’t strong either, with the Bruins putting up three consecutive losing seasons under his watch. A year ago, UCLA finished 3-4 during a volatile 2020 season.
While these two proud schools have played in baseball and basketball, this marks the first time the two teams have met on the football field.
Fans will be required to wear masks at the Rose Bowl stadium, but UCLA hasn't yet taken a step similar to that of LSU, which will require fans ages 12 and up to show proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test to attend home games.
Here's all the info you'll need to watch, stream or listen to the game, and continue on for numbers to know pregame storylines and more.
SEASON OPENER: LSU Tigers vs. UCLA Bruins
- When: Saturday, Sept. 4 at 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Rose Bowl, Los Angeles, California
- The line: LSU -2.5
- Series record:. First game between both programs
- UCLA in 2020: 3-4
- LSU in 2020: 5-5
HOW TO WATCH
New Orleans: WVUE-TV (FOX-8)
Baton Rouge: WGMB-TV (FOX-44)
Lafayette: KADN-TV (FOX-15)
- You can also watch the game live on streaming apps like Hulu Live and YouTube TV.
- WWL 870 AM/105.3 FM (New Orleans)
- WDGL-FM 98.1 FM (Baton Rouge)
- KLWB 103.7 FM (Lafayette)
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 6: The largest margin of defeat for UCLA in its four losses a year ago.
- 5: The number of starters that UCLA returns on its offensive line.
- 6: The number of touchdowns that LSU starting QB Max Johnson tossed in back-to-back victories over Florida and Ole Miss to close out the 2020 season.
- 122: LSU's average in rushing yardage during the 2020 season.
Many expect this to be a close game, and our LSU staff at The Advocate agrees with that sentiment. Click here to find out who they have winning the match-up between LSU and UCLA.
SEC SCHEDULE FOR SATURDAY'S GAMES
- 11 a.m. - La.-Monroe at Kentucky (SECN)
- 1 p.m. - Rice at Arkansas (ESPN+, SECN+)
- 2:30 p.m. - Miami (Fla.) vs. Alabama (in Atlanta, ABC)
- 3 p.m. - Central Michigan at Missouri (SECN)
- 3 p.m. - Louisiana Tech at Mississippi State (ESPNU)
- 6 p.m. - Akron at Auburn (ESPN+, SECN+)
- 6 p.m. - Eastern Illinois at South Carolina (ESPN+, SECN+)
- 6:30 p.m. - Florida Atlantic at Florida (SECN)
- 6:30 p.m. - Georgia vs. Clemson (in Charlotte, ABC)
- 7 p.m. - East Tennessee State at Vanderbilt (ESPN+, SECN+)
- 7 p.m. - Kent State at Texas A&M (ESPNU)