The LSU baseball coaching search has focused on two candidates: Mike Bianco and Cliff Godwin, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation told The Advocate | Times-Picayune.
The news broke Monday, just one day after the Tigers ended their season, starting Paul Mainieri's retirement.
LSU has focused its search for a new baseball coach on Ole Miss coach Mike Bianco and East Carolina coach Cliff Godwin, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation told The Advocate | Times-Picayune.
Here are five things to know about the two coaching candidates:
- Bianco is the all-time winningest coach at Ole Miss. He started coaching there in 2001.
- His son, Drew, is a junior infielder and outfielder for LSU.
- The elder Bianco also played for LSU. He was a catcher in 1988 and 1989, when he also became team captain. He played under Skip Bertman.
- After college, Bianco returned to LSU to coach under Bertman from 1993 to 1997.
- LSU isn't the only Louisiana team that Bianco has coached. He was at Northwestern State and McNeese State before and after his coaching time with LSU.
LSU baseball coach Paul Mainieri is gearing up for his last super regional appearance, standout Drew Bianco is preparing for his second and hi…
- Godwin is the head coach at East Carolina. He moved there in 2014.
- He actually coached for three seasons with Bianco at Ole Miss before moving to ECU.
- Prior to his time at Ole Miss, Godwin was an assistant coach for Paul Mainieri at Notre Dame and then at LSU for two seasons.
- The Snow Hill, North Carolina, native played for ECU for five seasons.
- After college, Godwin played professionally for two seasons with the Gateway Grizzlies in the Frontier League.
Former LSU baseball coach Paul Mainieri is done as a coach for the Tigers, but he isn't done with Baton Rouge.