The annual Oak Street Po-Boy Festival (www.poboyfest.com) announced the top sandwiches from its Nov. 12 event.
Thousands of people packed Oak Street off Carrollton Avenue, where vendors offered traditional and creative po-boys, inlcuding Jacques-Imo's Cafe's slow-roasted duck po-boy, Mahony's Po-boys' Taiwanese pork belly po-boy, Oceana Grill's oysters Rockefeller po-boy and DTB's fried oyster and ham hock po-boy dressed with mustard greens and goat cheese.
A panel of judges sampled more than 50 po-boys and announced their favorites mid-afternoon. Simone's Market, which opened just after 2016 festival, won the categories for most original ("Lebacajun") po-boy and best poultry for its smoked fried chicken version. The best overall sandwich was a repeat from years past, Red Fish Grill's barbecue oyster po-boy.
Here is the complete list of the 2017 winners:
• Best overall: Red Fish Grill's barbecue oyster po-boy
• Best pork: Vincent's Italian Cuisine's Godfather po-boy
• Best beef: Bienvenue Bar and Grill prime rib po-boy
• Best sausage: Bratz Y'all's drunk pig po-boy
• Best poultry: Simone's Market's smoked, fried chicken po-boy
• Best shrimp: Seither's Seafood's Peepaw po-boy
• Best seafood: Red Fish Grill's barbecue oyster po-boy
• Most original: Simone's Market Lebacajun po-boy