This week marks 35 years since the sale of Flint-Goodridge Hospital, a facility that once was the center of health care for African-Americans in the city and a training ground for many of the area's black doctors and health care providers. For most of its history, the hospital was owned by Dillard University, which at the turn of the 20th century offered one of the country's few medical schools for African-Americans. The hospital itself traced its roots to local health care and educational institutions dating back to the 1890s. It took its name from benefactors John Flint and Sarah Goodridge and was located for several years on Canal Street. In 1932, a new hospital was erected at 2425 Louisiana Ave. and continued to care for African-American patients through the days of segregation and beyond. It was the only private hospital that granted black doctors staff privileges, meaning black patients could be admitted under the care of their own physicians. In the 1940s it became known as the penny-a-day hospital, with an insurance plan that provided 21 days' hospitalization per year to patients who contributed a penny a day. In March 1983, Dillard sold the facility to a national hospital chain for $1.8 million. The new owners closed Flint-Goodridge in April 1985. The building, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989, now is home to the Flint-Goodridge Apartments.
The city is planning to resume water shutoffs Aug. 1 for residents who haven’t paid their Sewerage & Water Board bills. What do you think?
Jul 20Azienda Theater