Carlsel Alexander

Carlsel Alexander 

A man suspected in the fatal shooting of a 21-year-old New Orleans man in Treme last month has been arrested, police said. 

Members of the New Orleans Police Department's Violent Offender Warrant Squad and the U.S. Marshals Service arrested Carlsel Alexander, 22, in Houston, Texas, according to an NOPD news release.

Police suspect Alexander is responsible for the shooting of Troy Wilson, who was found shot multiple times during a fight on Feb. 18 in the 800 block of N. Broad Street. On the night of Wilson’s killing, police say they responded to a call of a fight involving a large group of people about 2 a.m., with shots fired. When the officers arrived, they found Wilson suffering from several shots to his upper body and stomach.

Paramedics treated Wilson on the scene and rushed him to an area hospital, where he later was pronounced dead.

Shortly after the shooting, police identified Alexander as a suspect in Wilson's murder and issued a warrant for his arrest. On Thursday, authorities found Alexander, who was hiding at the Palace Inn Hotel in the 11000 block of Telephone Road in Houston, and arrested him on a charge of second-degree murder.

The charges aren’t Alexander’s first brush with the law. Authorities in West Baton Rouge parish in 2015 charged Alexander, then 20, with beating and robbing his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend before abducting and raping the woman.

Police say Alexander used his car to block his ex-girlfriend’s boyfriend from leaving while the man was dropping her off at a home in Addis, just southwest of Baton Rouge. Authorities say Alexander then forced his way into the man’s car, kicked and punched him in the face, and stole his cell phone, bag and $600 gold watch. Police said Alexander then forced his ex-girlfriend into the car, drove to a remote area near Port Allen’s River Road, and raped her.

Authorities initially charged Alexander with second-degree battery and second-degree rape, but in January prosecutors dropped the rape case against him, citing a lack of cooperation from the victim. Alexander instead pleaded guilty to a charge of battery in exchange for three years of probation and $1,500 in restitution to the victim. 

Alexander, who has not yet been booked into the Orleans Justice Center, will now be extradited to New Orleans from Houston to face the murder charge, which carries a mandatory life sentence upon conviction. 

Follow Helen Freund on Twitter, @helenfreund.