New court records show police are scrutinizing a French Quarter restaurant worker who has allegedly made inconsistent statements about his activities on the night of the Bourbon Street shooting this summer.
A court order filed by State Police Trooper Gustave Bethea on Sept. 11 sought a month’s worth of telephone records from a cellphone belonging to 29-year-old Ennaid Richardson.
According to the order, Richardson was first labeled a “person of interest” in the shooting after investigators received a tip that he was one of two unnamed men captured in a video still disseminated by police in the wake of the incident. Police did not call either of the men suspects at the time, but only asked if anyone could help identify them.
Investigators found out that Richardson worked at a restaurant in the French Quarter and interviewed him soon after.
During the interview, they learned “his work uniform matched exactly to what the shooter was wearing the night of the homicide,” Bethea wrote.
The order also says that Richardson “lied about his itinerary” during the night of the shooting and that several other inconsistencies in his story were discovered after the interview.
The document, signed by Magistrate Commissioner Jonathan Friedman, requested that AT&T provide information about incoming and outgoing calls, subscriber information, cellphone tower information and payment information between June 15 and July 15.
The shooting, which killed one victim and wounded nine others, happened on June 29.
A message left Tuesday for Richardson with a family member wasn’t immediately returned.
Investigators first interviewed Richardson just days after the shooting. He was booked into Orleans Parish Prison on July 3 on a warrant related to unpaid fines for a 2011 marijuana possession charge, according to court documents.
At the time, the NOPD released a statement saying detectives had booked a “person of interest” on unrelated charges. It now appears the department was referring to Richardson.
Tyler Gamble, a spokesman for the Police Department, said Richardson is not currently and never has been a suspect in the shooting.
Gamble said the NOPD is the lead agency in the investigation, but is working jointly with State Police and other law enforcement agencies.
Col. Mike Edmonson, superintendent of the Louisiana State Police, said his state troopers often run down and vet leads from NOPD in relation to the Bourbon Street shooting.
“I think it’s full speed ahead until we catch the person who is responsible,” he said.
Police arrested 21-year-old Trung Le on July 4, and Le later was indicted on counts of attempted second-degree murder and manslaughter in the incident. His lawyer, Martin Regan, has claimed Le fired in self-defense after a gun-toting kitchen worker pointed a gun at Le and his friends.
Police have never named a second suspect in the shooting.
In late August, Regan said a woman had contacted him saying the description of the second gunman matched a man she knew who was a French Quarter kitchen worker and had previously fired a gun at her.
State Police investigated that lead but never made an arrest.