The man accused of kidnapping a Kenner woman and imprisoning her in a Mid-City apartment rigged with trap doors and two-way mirrors was ordered held Tuesday on an additional $250,000 bond.
Mario Perez, 56, was already being held on $35,000 bond, but Commissioner Paul Schneider increased that at Perez’s bond hearing in 24th Judicial District Court in Gretna.
A translator was not present so Schneider scheduled another hearing for Thursday morning, when he will consider a motion from the Jefferson Parish District Attorney’s office to hold Perez without bond.
Perez was arrested earlier this month on suspicion of kidnapping a 36-year-old coworker after she spurned his romantic advances. Perez and an accomplice allegedly took her at gunpoint to a house in Mid-City, where she was bound to a chair outfitted with straps. The house also included interior surveillance cameras and a hole dug into the floor under the bed.
The house also included a photograph of the victim blown up to the size of a movie poster and hung on the wall.
The woman said Perez had taken her to the house once before and prevented her from leaving, forcing her to escape.
Perez’s brother told The New Orleans Advocate that Perez has a history of mental problems and took issue with the police description of some of the apartment’s unusual features, especially after it was called a “house of horrors.”
Perez also has a criminal record that includes a conviction for kidnapping and attempted-murder in New Jersey and an arrest in Jefferson Parish for second-degree murder and the illegal use of a firearm.