New Orleans police Saturday afternoon rescinded an earlier arrest warrant in connection with the shooting of two 23-year-old men a day earlier in the 400 block of Dauphine Street in the French Quarter.
Police said an “independent witness” Friday had “positively identified” Jerry Harris, 17, from a photo lineup as the shooter. With this information, investigators secured a warrant for Harris’ arrest on two counts of attempted second-degree murder.
On Saturday, Sheriff’s Office deputies located Harris after learning he was wearing an ankle monitor. When 8th District detectives tried to speak to him at Central Lockup, his attorneys refused. Eventually, however, investigators learned that Harris’ ankle monitor showed he was not in the area at the time of the shooting. The warrant for his arrest, therefore, was rescinded, and he was released.
Officer Frank Robertson, an NOPD spokesman, said detectives were “reviewing other video footage and reinterviewing witnesses” in a new effort to identify the shooter.
The two victims were inside a tan Nissan Altima stopped for traffic just after 4:30 p.m. when someone walked up to the vehicle, pulled out a pistol and opened fire, striking both victims, police said. He then fled the scene on foot.
An officer who was in the area heard the gunfire and followed the Nissan until it came to a stop near Bienville and Basin streets, Robertson said. Paramedics took both men to the hospital, one with a gunshot wound to the arm and the other with a gunshot wound to the neck. Both are expected to make a full recovery.
Police still are investigating whether the men inside the car returned fire at the gunman on foot. A gun was found inside the Nissan, police said.
The 8th District Investigative Unit is in charge of the investigation and can be reached at (504) 658-6080.
Anyone with information also can call Crimestoppers anonymously at (504) 822-1111 or submit a tip online at www.crimestoppersgno.org.