SCI HIGH: The New Orleans Charter Science & Mathematics High School will celebrate the accomplishments of its 36 students with summer internship placements during a showcase at 4 p.m. Thursday, July 24, at Sci High School, 5625 Loyola Ave., New Orleans.
Guests will have the opportunity to meet the 2014 summer internship cohort, review their capstone projects and learn more about the diversity of the summer internship program.
Organizations that hosted interns this summer include Audubon Institute, Greater New Orleans Inc., The GR Group Physical Therapy, HSO, LA SPCA, Louisiana State University, Touro Infirmary, Tulane University and Xavier University Cancer Research Institute.
Select interns will present to the entire audience, and prizes will be awarded to outstanding projects. For information, contact Jennifer Naum at (504) 410-4182 or email@example.com.
DRINK POUCH BRIGADE: Students at Benjamin Franklin Elementary School in New Orleans have reached the second level of the Drink Pouch Brigade milestone contest by collecting more than 18,000 drink pouches.
The students have earned more than $1,700 for their school by collecting the drink pouches.
The Drink Pouch Brigade program is sponsored by Capri Sun and TerraCycle. TerraCycle is an upcycling and recycling company that takes difficult-to recycle-packaging and turns it into affordable, innovative products. For information on how to join a TerraCycle Brigade or purchase TerraCycle products visit www.terracycle.com.
RESTAURANT ASSOCIATION SCHOLARSHIPS: The Louisiana Restaurant Association Education Foundation will award $61,000 in scholarships to 30 students during the Five Star Futures Gala Aug. 2 at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside.
The LRAEF/NRAEF ProStart Scholarship is awarded to students who have received the ProStart Certificate of Achievement.
ProStart is a two-year, culinary management program for high school juniors and seniors with a curriculum designed to teach students culinary techniques as well as restaurant management skills. This year’s 15 scholarship recipients include the following local students:
- Jessica Foret, graduate of Grace King High School, attending Delgado Community College
- Peyton Leffingwell, graduate of Destrehan High School/St. Charles Satellite Center, attending Louisiana Culinary Institute (second-year recipient)
- Sadie Poche, graduate of Lutcher High School/St. James Career Center, attending the Chef John Folse Culinary Institute at Nicholls State University.
The General Hospitality Scholarship is a scholarship given to students who are currently enrolled or have been accepted in a hospitality or culinary degree-seeking program. This year’s 15 recipients include the following local students:
- Lindsey Carroll, graduate of Lutheran High School of Greater New Orleans, attending the Chef John Folse Culinary Institute at Nicholls State University
- Rachel DeFelice, graduate of Grace King High School, attending the Chef John Folse Culinary Institute at Nicholls State University
- April Lee, graduate of East St. John High School, attending the Chef John Folse Culinary Institute at Nicholls State University (second-year recipient)
- Nicole Washington, graduate of Ursuline Academy, attending Louisiana Culinary Institute.