Cabrini High School honored St. Frances Xavier Cabrini for her feast day with a reception at the original orphanage on St. Philip Street, which served as her first home in New Orleans.
The Cabrini Day Nursery presently serves as the home of Dr. Carlos A. Trujillo.
The Stella Maris Province of the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart in New York City was represented by Sister Archangel Turco, who directed the nursery until its closure in 1998; Sister Pietrina Raccuglia, superior provincial; and Sister Catherine Garry, former Cabrini High principal and presently provincial councilor.
The reception traced Mother Cabrini’s life and legacy in New Orleans on the eve of her Feast Day, including a tour of the property, photos of Mother Cabrini and the sisters at work on the property and their influence on the residents of New Orleans. Mother Cabrini established the orphanage on the St. Philip Street site in 1892 when she came to New Orleans to care for the many immigrant children orphaned by yellow fever outbreaks.
Outgrowing the St. Philip Street space by 1905, Cabrini had built another orphanage on Esplanade Avenue that operated until 1959, when it was closed and the space transformed into Cabrini High School, which operates still.